Thursday, August 11, 2011

Treasures beneath the city

Planned my day under ground - the must see metro stations - most of them on the ring line, which was great! I alighted at each stop, (more or less every single one.. :)) walk around like a weirdo along and between the platforms, sit (they have benches..brilliant!), admire, take a photo and onto the next stop.
One is told how amazing the stations are...and it is certainly true - they were absolutely luscious.  All the marble, mosaics, ornate tiles and stucco...colours of gold, bronze....and more gold...the chandeliers! My photographs do not show them off well unfortunately..(not a fan of using flash...)
I shall be back under for some others on another rainy day..








2 comments:

  1. I've always thought the word "alighted" an odd one. London Underground use it a lot for some reason - probably to confuse tourists (or perhaps just me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah-ra! I see you are going on along Russia! enjoying it? I'm starting to miss our days in Petrozavodsk... :( LET US KNOW EVERYTHING! :)

    ReplyDelete